Monday, February 18, 2013

Finding your first ounce of Faith

So, on a normal daily basis, most people put faith in themselves, their car, their job, their boss, their phone, and so on. It's great that we can put the amount of faith into these things that we do. For example,

1. I have faith that I will complete my homework tonight.
2. I have faith that my car will start and drive correctly to get me to work. 
3. I have faith that my job will still be there the next day. 
4. I have faith that my boss will see things through my eyes as a professional. 
5. I have faith that my phone will not die, and inform me of all my meetings and appointments. 




So, if we can put so much faith in these EARTHLY things, why is it so difficult to put our faith in something much bigger, stronger and smarter than we are? GOD. I find myself thinking I have control. I have the reigns, when in all reality, I don't. I don't even have one of the reigns. Life cannot be controlled by my hand alone.

I remember the first time I went back to church after who knows how many years. I went with a friend from work who I had asked about finding me a cool place to go. Luckily, the church he led me to was such an amazing church. I remember just walking in, and it was at a high school. So I'm thinking, "this should be veeery interesting." Alas....FREE coffee. Childcare. Friendly people. There was no judgement, no weird eyes, welcoming hands, pastors, ushers, etc. Which is the way church SHOULD be. Before the service started, we did worship (which in all reality was freaking awesome!). Live band, singing, people throwin their hands in the air, this church was where I was meant to be! My kind of style! So then we get into the sermon, and in my head I'm thinking "ok, here goes an hour of nothing" (while still being in a somewhat hung-over state). I should note that my first return to church happened to be on July 4th. To my surprise, the sermon got off to a ripping and roaring start talking about the Freedoms we have in our lives, and the Freedoms we have in our HEARTS. How when we let God in our hearts, we make freedom there. That's when the scars of depression, alcoholism, anger, fear can all start to wash away. When we can begin to let go of things and let God take the reigns. Let go, and Let GOD as one of my co-workers likes to say.

This was the first time that I, as an adult, accepted and welcomed God into my heart. As mentioned earlier, being the 22 year old I was, drinking was something I did well, let's just say often. So showing up to church a few times after that hung over was not unheard of. BUT - I accepted Christ! I made that first step of FAITH to say, yes, I will have you in my life. I will follow you. I will allow you to lead me. That first step has led to many, many more. 




So how do you take a first step of Faith? What a crazy and hard question to answer.

  1. Find a good church - one that has small groups, is personal, takes church beyond your typical "Sunday Service"
  2. Read your bible, find God's promises for you
  3. Give your life to Christ with others
  4. Get friends and family involved
  5. JUMP IN! It's going to be a wild ride!

Now, I realize all of that is MUCH easier said than done, but a little prayer never hurt either. 

Hebrews 11:6  
"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."

No comments:

Post a Comment